Thursday, October 8, 2009

Stitchin' It Up!

My roommate and many friends would attest that - while normally you would find me stuck behind whatever book I've been reading (still usually the case) - I've been spending a significant amount of time behind my sewing machine as well. My most consistent project has been making what most of my family and friends have used as scripture bags - I think I've made about six of these since December '08:


Amongst some other small projects (i.e. mending), I recently completed my first *quilted* blanket. Normal my blanket adventures have included two flat panels, some batting, and tied-yarn-tufts. I decided that for my next quilt - a baby shower gift for one of my very best friends - I would venture into the unknown. My experiment turned out better than I ever imagined!


So, the fabric was pretty basic - all my *quilting* involved was running my regular sewing machine alone the lines around the animals on the top (admittedly much more involved than I had originally anticipated). When I delivered the gift to my friend, her grandmother was ranting at how well I'd done. She also asked me how I didn't get the "infamous puffiness" in the middle of the pattern, to which I replied, "I figured I'd start in the middle, so that any puffiness could be hid in the binding." My friend's grandmother was very impressed at my forethought - especially since I'd never even helped in *officially* quilting anything! She told her granddaughter, "That's one smart friend you've got there - don't let that one get away!"


My next adventure - a little sommin-sommin like this:
(actual pictures forthcoming... eventually)



7 comments:

  1. I love all of your projects, the quilt is adorable! I really need to get myself a sewing machine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed! I'm trying to gear up to sew a few Christmas and baby gifts. We'll see how that goes... :0) The quilt you gave me FOREVER ago is still pretty much my favorite one, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! Good for you! I love the baby quilt - it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilts are absolutely beautiful! I am so impressed at your skill and hard work. Can't wait to hear more about that beautiful starburst!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree... your quilt turned out great!!! I'm very impressed. :o) Such a smart girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job! they all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Glad it turned out! (It's nice to have a "professional" opinion of how well you did, too!)

    ReplyDelete