Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Bells on Temple Square

Contrary to the dedication of my last three posts, I do actually DO things aside from browse Facebook. One of the many things I will miss about Utah when I eventually move away is the number of free concerts I can attend, especially those offered downtown on Temple Square. This last Friday I went with my friend Mindy and her parents to see a bell concert... I think I've seen bell performers before, but only in a significantly smaller setting.


I have always been obsessed with the tabernacle back lighting for the organ pipes! I'm not sure how they always make it look so amazing... but they do.


In addition to a number of classical pieces and Christmas arrangements, my favorite bell piece was probably an arrangement of Good Vibrations by the Beach Boys. All the bell "ringers" donned shades. Props! (uh... both meanings...)


It took me the whole concert to get a decent picture of these bells. Most of the bells (ranging in size from maybe an inch in diameter to six-or-so inches) were "played" by petitish women. Note the bells on the second table back, all the way to the right. Um, yes. Those are bells. And yes, they had handles and were rang (How else would you say that?!) by hand. They were played by some gentlemen that would put the BYU football team's linemen to shame. Not joking.


So, I love this picture and that harp sitting out front there by itself... Interspersed with the "bells" arrangements were various ensemble and solo numbers - the organ, some flutes, a mini wind ensemble. My very favorite piece was an arrangement of the Star Wars Cantina (I've included a link here to refresh your memory as to what piece I'm referring to.)


This piece was performed by a harpist. Just a harpist. And she rocked it! I literally was laughing into my hand throughout this whole piece!

1 comment: