Thursday, November 5, 2009

Why Are Classics Classics?

Because they have something to share with generation after generation! I'm reading Leo Tolstoy's "War and Peace" - a remarkable read that I'm finding more enjoyable and easier to read than I originally expected. It's always fun for me to come across little gems in whatever I'm reading... especially when they have such a profound affect on my current state of mind and spirit. This is something I came across yesterday:

"Desire nothing for thyself, be not covetous, anxious, envious. The future of men and thy destiny too must be unknown for thee; but live that thou mayest be ready for all. If it shall be God's will to prove thee... be ready to obey His will."

I found that this little nugget of wisdom - as well as many others - was surprisingly applicable not only to me but to the general state of the world right now... surprising I guess because they are words that came from a novel published over 140 years ago.

And it kinda sounds like a scripture...

1 comment:

  1. I guess I need to add WAR AND PEACE to my list now. Great thought, thanks!

    ReplyDelete