Saturday, October 2, 2010

Day 2: My Favorite Movie

Hmmm... favorite movie. Probably will make for a shorter* post. We watch a lot of movies in my family, but I have never really been able to decide on a "favorite".

I like movies of all types - from high-action (lots of blowing things up) to your classic "chick-flick" - Disney cartoons to historical epic films... and pretty much everything in between. As with music, I like specific movies rather than genres or themes. If I were to narrow it down, I like movies that do one of two things: 1) they make me happy and/or 2) they make me think. (And all the better if they make me do both.)

Here's a list of some movies I've seen that I really enjoyed, for any one of an array of reasons, and would recommend:
  • Antwone Fisher
  • The Secret Life of Bees
  • Invictus
  • Blind Side (really almost all "based-on-actual-events" sports films...)
  • Just Like Heaven (yah, watched this one at least 5 times at the dollar theater...)
  • Avatar
  • Robin Hood (historical epics are a plus)
  • Sherlock Holmes
  • Stranger Than Fiction
  • You've Got Mail (I never get sick of this one!)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
  • Harry Potter VII (Let's face it... they'll end up on here eventually, even if they're NOT released yet!)
I really could go on and on... (part of that whole "not picking a favorite" thing).

For being so sure if I like something or not, I really have a problem narrowing things down and picking just one! (Anyone who has ever gone to a restaurant with me can attest to the fact that it's not just with music and movies that I have this problem.) However, for purposes of this post, I have gone to extreme lengths and much internal debate to answer this question (maybe a small, pathetic attempt at being somewhat decisive ;0).

So here it is (drumroll might be fitting here)...

Most recently, the one movie that has really been at the top of my list is Disney Pixar's UP!
LOVED that movie. Aside from doing an amazing job with story line and animation, it is probably one of the few movies I've ever seen that caused such a wide range of emotional response. I laughed and cried - was grieved, angered and frustrated but also hopeful, uplifted and inspired. It was a great fairytale that rung true on a lot of levels and in general reminds me that there is always something more to live for, to enjoy about life and to make you laugh out loud. I remember thinking after it was over that we really do need more movies like it. If you have seen it, you know what I mean. If you haven't... your life really would be much better if you did. GREAT movie.


*Disclaimer: "Shorter" for me... Still probably means at least 5 paragraphs or so. ;0)

2 comments:

  1. I love Up! I love the way that Pixar mixes serious subjects with humor and I always want to give every single protagonist a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen quite a few of those, I'll have to add them to our list of must sees!

    ReplyDelete