Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Day 20: A Hobby of Mine

Hobby, obsession, passion... they are all synonymous in many ways. My first response to all three would be simply: BOOKS. But I'm not entirely sure that truly encompasses the crux of the passion. I think I am obsessed with knowledge, with learning new things, with hearing stories and experiencing life vicariously through the lives of others. That I think is where the real passion lies. My most favorite time is when I am curled up in a chair reading something that allows me to escape to another world (the cup of hot chocolate and a crackling fire while it's raining or snowing outside, potentially in a small cabin in the middle of a coniferous forest... yah, those are all just bonuses). But beyond the books, I keep my iTouch handy whenever I watch a movie... If I don't know a word or am not familiar with an historical event or I just want to know who that cute guy playing that one character is, then out pops the iTouch and I look it up. When I'm sitting at my computer at work , my most frequent visits are to dictionary.com and wikipedia.org - if I come across something I don't know, I look it up. And if I'm sitting in the backyard and a bird I don't recognize lands on the fence, I pull out my "bird book" and quickly try to identify it.

So yes - passion, obsession, hobby. It definitely qualifies as all three.

And the best part about this excitement I have for learning new things is that it can be contagious. It just makes my day when I come home and Mom or Dad is sitting on the couch trying to identify the wing-ed beast perched on the back fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment